Re: [Modules] Should the compiler try to build std module implicitly?

From: Michael Spencer <bigcheesegs_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 02:09:40 -0800
On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 1:11 AM Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Michael Spencer via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > * Delete all the temp files at the end after linking
>
> Building a hello-world example with Clang that imports libc++'s std
> module (including building the BMI for it) takes about 1.5s on my
> machine (i9-12900K). For comparison, the #include <iostream> version
> takes 0.3s. Maybe this is acceptable but it will surely be painful
> in the educational setting, where one will presumably be making a
> lot of mistakes and thus doing a lot of recompilations.

Yep, this is about what I would expect. My extreme aversion to having
the frontend cache things comes from years of dealing with the issues it
causes. I'd prefer to use the module build daemon approach for handling
caching for this situation as it gives a single process that can manage the
cache instead of communicating over the filesystem between multiple Clang
instances.

- Michael Spencer