Re: [isocpp-sg21] Contracts and tooling

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 19:05:34 +0200
On Tue, 14 Nov 2023 at 18:36, Tom Honermann via SG15
<sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 11/13/23 4:59 PM, Timur Doumler via SG15 wrote:
>
> Thanks for the summary, Bret!
>
> I totally agree that the concern seems reasonable but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate ship vehicle at the moment. Addressing the problem via the language spec seems like the wrong direction, and addressing it via the language spec in just one specific feature like Contracts seems like doubly the wrong direction, which is exactly why I believe this would go nowhere in SG21 (and not because the concern is unreasonable). Hope that makes sense.
>
> I agree that the language specification is the wrong place to address this with the exception that the language spec has to permit omitting the information (which is already the case).
>
> If there was a desire to do anything about this, I think the right ship vehicle is the ecosystem IS; we could have a section that discusses removal of sensitive information. I have no strong opinions about pursuing that though.

I don't find it troublesome to specify such information-scrubbing in
the language spec. I would, however, expect that it's not handled
as a requirement for a contracts facility, but with a proposal of its
own that handles contract violation information, source_location in
general,
and __FILE__ and __LINE__ and __func__ in a coherent package. Or
explains why it doesn't.