Re: [P3033] Should we import function bodies to get better optimizations?

From: Chuanqi Xu <chuanqi.xcq_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 10:18:01 +0800
>> On 1 Nov 2023, at 15:19, Steve Downey via SG15 <sg15_at_lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
>>
>> We spent a lot of time litigating this in the C++20 time frame, particularly the impact of function definitions being visible or not.
>> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1498r1.html <https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1498r1.html > and https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1779r3.html <https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1779r3.html > are relevant.
>> Non-inline function definitions are not to be exported as part of the module interface. Module implementers control the ABI of the module, even without module implementation partitions. The presence of the `inline` keyword has extra meaning in a module interface, and signals that the body is available.
Oh, yeah, previously I thought the P1779R3 paper is going to make member functions in module purview not implicitly inline any more and I thought this is already implemented in clang. And I thought EWG papers are primarily for semantics and they are irrevelent with BMI or ABI things. But after reconsidering the intention for the papers, it is indeed an implicit goal to not make the non-inline function bodies to be part of the ABI of the modules consumers. Then clang's behavior with optimization enabled is a bug.
> So, in fact, it appears clang has a bug here (at least, in that the emitted body is reachable by importers).
Yes, I am going to fix this.
Many Thanks,
Chuanqi
From:Iain Sandoe via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
Send Time:2023 Nov. 1 (Wed.) 23:34
To:sg15 Iain Sandoe via <sg15_at_[hidden]pp.org>
Cc:Iain Sandoe <iain_at_[hidden]>
Subject:Re: [SG15] [P3033] Should we import function bodies to get better optimizations?
> On 1 Nov 2023, at 15:19, Steve Downey via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> We spent a lot of time litigating this in the C++20 time frame, particularly the impact of function definitions being visible or not.
> https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1498r1.html <https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1498r1.html > and https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1779r3.html <https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1779r3.html > are relevant.
> Non-inline function definitions are not to be exported as part of the module interface. Module implementers control the ABI of the module, even without module implementation partitions. The presence of the `inline` keyword has extra meaning in a module interface, and signals that the body is available.
So, in fact, it appears clang has a bug here (at least, in that the emitted body is reachable by importers).
As far as I understand, MSVC and GCC both omit the function body from the interface in the non-inline case.
> This has the tradeoff that the translated interface is not sufficient alone to compile the module TU because it is incomplete.
Well, that is no different from any other ‘externally-available’ function, so I’m not sure I consider it a significant trade-off.
We have other mechanisms for improving the runtime-performance of such cases (i.e. LTO) while that is not always used, it is an option.
We have also informally discussed more sophisticated schemes where optimized implementation data are carried along with the BMI in some larger and more sophisticated container (but that is very much something for the future, along with the potential multi-phased idea).
Iain