Re: P2717R1, EcoIS Introspection

From: René Ferdinand Rivera Morell <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:46:55 -0500
On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 2:38 PM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 6/2/23 2:52 PM, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via SG15 wrote:
> > I'll need to do some research on the possibility of having side data
> > as a mechanism. I.e. go find out how it would work in the variety of
> > build, packaging, and compiler tools that are available. But I'm
> > wondering, since both Gaby and Olga mentioned it, if you can give
> > examples of running such tools in size constrained environments and
> > multiple tools needing to communicate. As I'm not familiar with
> > running compilers, build systems, and package managers outside of
> > desktop environments.
>
> CI deployments are often configured such that development tools are
> deployed into a fresh OS image as part of job processing. The smaller
> the size of the tools, the lower the setup overhead, the faster the job
> throughput.

Interesting.. The CI systems I work with are either in-house to build
rather large Unreal Engine based projects, or cloud based ones to
build & test (in comparison) small projects like Boost C++ Libraries.
For the former the size & resources doesn't matter at the scale of
adding a command line option in a tool having an impact on anything.
As everything is pre-installed as it's impractical to do otherwise.
And as some parts of it run in a local network distributed compute
structure. For the cloud based ones, yes, most of the setup of OS and
tools is pre-imaged somehow. So I guess I'm trying to understand what
you mean by "fresh OS image". Does that mean you install an empty OS
and then fresh install tools and then build/test? Something else?

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything  -- No Supone Nada