Re: P2898R0: Importable Headers are Not Universally Implementable

From: Bret Brown <mail_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 21:07:26 -0400
> A space free from the state of the preprocessor may also give Epochs(1)
some space to breath.

First, Sean Baxter has some research in the circle compiler demonstrating
that you can have the preprocessor and granular feature directives without
an issue. Of course, epochs are just structures sets of language features,
so I'm assuming it's not strictly a problem in general. I can't promise the
same ideas apply to all toolchains, though.

Second, we can't really be free of the state of the preprocessor anyway. If
nothing else, include guards depend on preprocessor state both going into a
header and coming out of it. So I suspect protections against multiple
inclusion (and more vectors for ODR bugs!) are in particular underspecified
if we want to salvage header imports somehow. I'm not convinced it's worth
figuring it out at this point, but I'm willing to listen to ideas,
especially if they are somehow significantly less disruptive than just
powering through adoption of named modules.

Bret