Should there be a filename extension standard?

From: Joshua Marshall <jrmarsha_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 18:04:43 -0500
Hello all,

I need to ask the dumb question somewhere, and I think this is the right
place. Should there be a filename extension standard and would something
It seems like this has been discussed some as noted by Rene' on Slack.

My question is motivated by Herb Sutter's 2022 CPPCON talk introducing
`cppforward` and what seems to be the `.cpp2` extension. Now, independent
of his work, having the option to support multiple syntaxes and multiple
standards in this way could have it's uses. Provided that everything
ultimately translates into a currently nonexistent common meaning behind
all the syntaxes and standards, judicious addition of these alternatives
could prove useful for better supporting the needs of competing domains. I
can't say what they would be, but it would give the option for later use.
I think that could be of value.