Re: [SG15] RFC: Requirements to consume a prebuilt library from arbitrary build systems

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:37:26 -0600
On Wed, Oct 27, 2021, 13:31 Gamblin, Todd <gamblin2_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> IIn many cases that may include programs that need to be exec’d either by
> the client code or by the package, at build or runtime.

That's an interesting point. I guess the question is how far does it make
sense to go.

If you think about code generators, their usage ends up being tightly
coupled with the build system, but I can definitely see how it would be
helpful for the package manager to be able to tell to the build system
where the executables are.

 Similarly there are libraries out there that aren’t usable without
> associated data.

Timezone data or ca-certificates comes to mind from your example.

I think that's an interesting point too.