Re: [SG15] P2473R0: Distributing C++ Module Libraries

From: Iain Sandoe <iain_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:22:34 +0100
I am going to have to give up on the call … (this is a tough time of day for calls anyway).

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 22:01, Daniel Ruoso via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> As a follow up from the work on P2409R0, I have just posted a new paper: https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P2473R0.pdf .
>
> Here's a snippet of the abstract:
>
> This paper proposes a format for interoperability between build tools, compilers, and static analysis tools that facilitates the adoption of C++ Modules where libraries are distributed as pre-built artifacts as opposed to the build system having access to the entirety of the source code. This proposal aims to address requirements R1 to R5 of the paper P2409R0.

.. I had a question on the periods in module names (which might just mean I’m kinda new to the group and missed some previous design discussion)

These have no hierarchical significance to the compiler, what problem is it solving to make them have disk layout hierarchy in the tooling?

thanks
Iain