Subject: Re: P2473R0: Distributing C++ Module Libraries
From: Daniel Ruoso (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-10-15 15:17:36

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 4:12 PM Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> - [1] which wouldn't preclude the support for module map files, in
> fact I can see a build system build a module map file for the local modules
> with a fallback to path-based lookup for external libraries
>
> Why is the module map file approach being discounted or not pursued in
> favor of the current proposal?

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

The question is: on an arbitrary system with arbitrary libraries being made
available to the build system as pre-built artifacts, how is the module map
going to be assembled for a given translation that depends on modules
provided by those external libraries?

Older archives