Re: [SG15] [isocpp-modules] FW: BMI distribution (reuse) and reading BMI data

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 12:52:26 -0400
Thanks for forwarding, Olga.

I talked about the impact to Coverity at that last teleconference.  The
following summarizes that discussion.

Coverity is a static source code analyzer.  In order for us to analyze
source code, we need to parse it and interpret it the same way (or as
close as possible) as the native compilers used to compile it do (this
is necessary to avoid false positives due to implementation defined
things). That means that we have to emulate every version of every
compiler that we support.  We support *many* C++ compilers (there are a
lot more compilers than just gcc, Clang, and MSVC).

We learn how to parse a particular source code base by monitoring a
build process in action and observing compiler invocations.  We refer to
this as "capturing" the build.  For each observed compiler invocation,
we analyze the command line for the native compiler and translate that
to an equivalent command line for invoking our own front end with all
the options needed to emulate the native compiler.  We then invoke our
own front end to construct an AST and store it in a database for later
analysis.

As long as we observe construction of a BMI, we don't have a problem as
we get the opportunity to construct our own BMIs for later use and we
can figure out how to map consumption of a previously produced BMI to
our own variant. We already do this to support Pre-Compiled Header (PCH)
files. However, use of BMIs not generated during the build pose a major
problem for us unless we have some (reasonably easy) way to consume the BMI.

In general, directly consuming a BMI is not realistic for us.  Most
compiler implementors are not committing to a stable BMI format and it
is not economically feasible for us to be able to consume M different
BMI versions from N different BMI formats (N probably corresponding to
the number of compiler implementors).  If all implementors were to adopt
a single stable BMI format, we could potentially consume them directly,
but previous discussions among implementors have indicated this is very
unlikely to happen.

Indirectly consuming a BMI may be feasible for us.  For this to work, we
would need to be able to interrogate a BMI and extract at least the
following:

 1. The command line of the native compiler used to produce the BMI.
 2. The current working directory for the native compiler invocation.
 3. The set of environment variables active for the native compiler
    invocation (we need the full set of environment variables to ensure
    that we can unset environment variables that could influence behavior).

The indirect consumption approach implies that (all of) the source code
must be available either at the original filesystem paths or within the
BMI itself (the latter case would require us to implement our own
virtual filesystem layer to access the bundled source code; we can't
rely on extracting it to the customer's file system).  In some cases, we
may still require the native compiler version used to produce the BMI be
installed on the system because we depend on probing the native compiler
to determine how to emulate certain behaviors.  However, if implementors
constrain their support of distributable BMIs to matching versions of
the native compiler, then this latter concern is not a problem (since
the compiler version for the invocation that is consuming the BMI
already matches (closely enough) the version used to produce the BMI.

The above information would enable us to, upon observing consumption of
a BMI that we did not observe the construction of, to use the
information from the BMI to construct our own variant.  We still face
some challenges in this area (for example, data races generating our own
variant when capturing a parallel build), but I believe such technical
difficulties are not a large impediment.

What would be helpful is if each implementor were to provide a utility
with a common interface (like c++filt) that enabled extraction of the
above information from a BMI.  Perhaps the tool would produce JSON
output with the above command line, wording directory, environment
variables, etc... information and the ability to generate a .zip file
with the bundled source code.

I would be interested in hearing from others how useful the above would
be for other tool providers.

Tom.