Re: [Tooling] [isocpp-modules] Dependency format with module details implementation

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 12:45:36 +0200
Ben Boeckel via Modules <modules_at_[hidden]> writes:

> So my expectation is that CMake would have to know what headers/MIU
> files are available via usage requirements or pkg-config variables.
> Something like this:
>
> target_cxx_modules(Imported::Target
> PUBLIC
> avail.mod1=/path/to/some.miu
> avail.mod2=/path/to/some/other.miu)
>
> The `miu` extension here is for "module interface unit". How these are
> generated/provided is not yet known.
>
> When this target is used (not just available), CMake would generate
> rules to scan these `.miu` files and to build the BMIs for them.

"Module interface (translation) unit" normally refers to a C++
source file that defines the module's interface (i.e., it contains
'export module M;'). Are you saying that someone/something should
be translating headers to equivalent "real" module interfaces? If
so, that's an interesting idea, though I can also see an immediate
problem: macros.

And if MIU is something else, can you elaborate on what it could
contain?