Re: [Tooling] [isocpp-modules] Dependency information for module-aware build tools

From: Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 09:45:55 -0500
On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 14:26:27 +0000, Ben Craig wrote:
> Here are some of my stock JSON questions. I think these all have
> pretty easy answers, but I find it worthwhile to ask them just to be
> sure.
>
> Are compilers allowed to add extra fields to this JSON structure?

Yes, revisions can add fields, but older readers of the same version
should still support the higher revisions (since there is only
additional "helpful" information, not "semantic" information).

> What should clients of this JSON structure do when encountering a
> field that it doesn't recognize?

Ignore them.

> Do you foresee files of this format being authored and saved by
> people, or will it always be a process-to-process interchange format?

Currently, intra-build communication. Not for consumption outside of a
single build.

> If a person will be involved in authoring files of this format, how
> should they write comments?

JSON doesn't support comments :( . But, with ignorable fields, we can
say that any key starting with `_` is space for implementations to add
whatever information they want (with no semantic meaning as far as the
format spec, so basically comments).

--Ben