Re: [Tooling] Modules feedback

From: Scott Wardle <swardle_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 19:17:14 -0800
Nice story. Was this on Linux?

We sorted our include paths by the number of hits to that path and it was a 10% gain to clean build times. But this was a long time ago before windows 10 even. So I was not sure if the better caching in Windows 10 might have helped since. We have lost the tech to do this however and not been bothered to write this.

This is a pain as really having one include per library works very well as you can’t include things you should not. Keep your layering enforced by your build system.

I am not sure how many modules we will have per library yet but if it is close to 1 to 1 understanding this problem might big enough to want to fix it. If we had a directory system caching service that could very quickly tell you what of the 100s of include directory you really needed to check. The way I look at it right now is we will have the same includes as we will with module search paths (as this would just be the easiest thing to do in the build system) so what ever this time is now will double.

Scott