Re: [Tooling] Modules

From: Timur Doumler <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 15:14:40 +0000
> On 1 Feb 2019, at 15:07, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On 31/01/2019 17.58, Ben Craig wrote:
>> Your IDEs and tidying tools and anything else that needs to consume
>> and understand your source without building it will care. If you
>> want types and values to have different colors in your IDE, then your
>> IDE needs to be able to get from your file to the source file that
>> declared those entities.
>
> (That said, it seems to increasingly be the case that the way they do
> this is by... querying the build system and using the compiler to parse
> your sources. At least, the IDE's that work *well* do it this way…)

CLion, which I consider an “IDE that works well”, does not do this. It has its own C++ frontend, which parses the code and does semantic analysis independent from the compiler, and a significant part of the IDE’s functionality is reliant upon that. I guess it would be quite problematic for them to implement module support as currently specified.

I haven’t been following this because I’ve left the CLion team a couple months ago, but I’m sure their feedback would be very valuable.

Cheers,
Timur