Re: [Tooling] Modules

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 17:00:01 +0200
Titus Winters <titus_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I'm just trying to figure out how much of this is fundamental to all build
> systems (I don't think it is) vs. "I just want globbing to be enough" (I
> also don't think it's that).

Here is my understanding of the current state based primarily on
actively-used open source build systems (i.e., things can be
vastly different in the legacy/proprietary world):

1. All non-toy build systems perform automatic header dependency
   extraction.

2. Majority do it via the compiler (-M*, /showIncludes) since that's
   the only reliable way to get the same "view" of things.

3. Globbing is addressing a different problem: specifying the list
   of source files within a project (i.e., it's a set, not a graph).