Re: [Tooling] [Ext] Modules and tooling: Resolving module import declarations

From: Loïc Joly <loic.actarus.joly_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 00:38:36 +0200
Le 02/09/2018 à 17:16, Tom Honermann a écrit :

> The example is meant to reflect the scenario where a project (t.cpp)
> uses a packaged component (foo). Assuming that module artifact
> formats remain non-portable across compilers and non-stable across
> compiler releases, it doesn't make sense for a package manager to
> install module artifacts.

Could you develop that?

Currently, libraries are non portable across compilers and non-stable
across compiler releases, but package managers still allow to install
pre-compiled libraries. They just need to be able to handle a collection
of versions. So am I missing something?

For closed-source library, it may not even be an option, but a
requirement. And I expect some of those library writers might be very
happy if they could avoid delivering headers, but only a collection of
pre-compiled module interfaces for the compilers they support.

---
Loïc