Re: [Tooling] Papers for San Diego?

From: Titus Winters <titus_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 08:36:59 -0700
It looks like the SG15 meeting for San Diego will be on Thursday, November
8th. (There's a chance that'll get shifted, but I'll fight to keep it
stable if possible.)

Generally speaking, I'd like to encourage papers in the following areas:

   - Build systems, build system understanding. Possible guidance/best
   practices/linters for build systems + project layouts. Basically: what do
   we want to ask of projects so that it is out-of-the-box easy to download a
   library and #include it / import it / link it? This probably includes
   things like physical layout of directory structures, best practices for
   namespaces, etc etc.
   - Package managers. Especially the overlap with the above. What does it
   take for a package to "just work" when the source is downloaded and
   imported? Can we have a verification/stamp/certification that a package is
   following some form of best practices and will just work out of the box?
   - Updated/alternative mission statements?
   - Interactions between modules and tools.
   - Refactoring tools and techniques
   - Indexers, censuses of popular packages, graphs of inter-package
   dependencies.

But anything in the (broad) space of Tooling is of course welcome.

I'd like to encourage us to use San Diego as a last "brainstorming" meeting
and start moving toward more papers that propose plans for how to get from
where we are to a world of better tooling. Maybe that's overly aggressive.