Re: [Tooling] Simple dependency management without #include<http://...>

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 11:15:43 +0200
Mathias Stearn <redbeard0531_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Here is an initial proposal to simplify dependency management: [...]
> What do you think about this idea?

If you replace "tag" with "package" and split your tags.yaml into
manifest and lockfile, then what you've described is more or less
the functionality of a dependency manager like Cargo or build2.

Which means there is nothing simple about it ;-).

While I think we could do this automatic package to header mapping (we
kind of already do it for auto-generated headers with -MG, etc), this
will be cleaner/easier for modules if we could agree at the outset on
the convention that the first/leading components in the module name
identify the package name. For example:

import catch2; // package catch2
import boost.uuid; // package boost-uuid
import boost.date_time.io; // package boost-date_time