Re: [Tooling] Tooling experience? (was Re: Proposed mission)

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 18:29:49 +0200
Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> writes:

> No, that would not be possible. The "Another take on Modules" proposal
> [1] explicitly guards against this; see section 3.3 (Preprocessor impact).

Thanks for the pointer.

To summarize my understanding: in this proposal (but not in Modules TS)
all import declarations must come first, before any other declarations.
Then the proposal "disables" expansion of exported macros in this
import region. The build system can then discover the import set by
somehow only preprocessing this import region and stopping (it still
has to preprocess since the use of non-module-exported macros and,
presumably, #include's in this region is valid).

To me, personally, this feels like a bunch of artificial restrictions
to make something inherently broken kinda work.

Boris