Re: [Tooling] Tooling experience? (was Re: Proposed mission)

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 09:50:08 +0200
On 04/09/2018 06:54 AM, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> And if we add support for macro exporting to modules, it will take
> this complexity to the whole new level since now any subsequent
> 'import' can be affected bu the preceding.

The current proposal to support macros in modules does not allow the
contents of a later import be influenced by macros defined by a former
import.

It's just that modules can make macros available to importing
translation units, and will be visible there.

Given that clarification, are macros still as much of a pain to
support?

> Which will require a
> constant back-and-forth between the compiler and the build system
> while compiling a single translation unit. I am planning to submit
> a paper on this with the (working) title "No Sane Build System will
> Support Modules with Macros".

Jens