Re: [Tooling] Proposed mission

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 18:32:32 +0000
I wasn't at Jacksonville.
Were the current issues discussed ?
Aka what makes refactoring near-impossible today ?
Of course, I have an answer to that ( macros ) - but it's probably not the
only pain point.

I don't believe anything added after 98 made things fundamentally more
complicated for tools.
(Exporting-macro modules might...)

Once we identify the actual pain points it will be easier to work around
them.
Probably by introducing new language constructs - Lots of very smart people
tried to make refactoring work over the past 30 years, I don't believe SG15
can improve on the state of the art without taking a completely new
approach.

So, here is an attempt to reformulate Titus' goal:

Refactoring tools that people can trust blindly. (either because the tool
works 100% of the time or notifies the user about 100% of the failure
cases).