Subject: Re: [Tooling] Purview of SG15 ?
From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-23 05:11:20

Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]> writes:

> But, do we actually need a standard build system ? I'm not convinced. We
> do, however, need a standard package manager.

The experience of other "competing" languages (Rust, Go) suggests that
things work best if the build system and the package manager (or, more
broadly, package/project dependency management) are tightly integrated
into a build toolchain.

Also, if you are interested in package/project dependency management, I
highly recommend "So you want to write a package manager" by Sam Boyer[1].
It definitely clarified quite a few things for me.

[1] https://medium.com/@sdboyer/so-you-want-to-write-a-package-manager-4ae9c17d9527

Boris

SG15 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com

Older archives