Reg: experience on boost:lockfree data structures

From: Honey Sukesan <honey.speaks.tech_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 03:15:41 +0000
Hi all,

Hope all is well.

This is my first email to the list. Not sure if it's the place to ask
general technical questions. Please accept my apologies if I'm violating
any rules of this study group.

I would like to seek an opinion regarding boost:: interprocess::
message_queue vs boost::lockfree::queue.

Has anyone used boost::lockfree::queue or any of Boost.LockFree data
structures in any embedded platforms?

I have a producer-consumer scenario involving multiple threads. Tried out a
sample code using int values pushing to/consuming from the queue & analysed
elapsed time between push/pop on a Linux x86. It's found
boost::lockfree::queue gives better time performance results compared to
boost:: interprocess:: message_queue.

Haven't tried this on actual hardware target yet. Our hardware target is an
ARM based processor running QNX RTOS.

I'm listening to Herb's CppCon talk on Lock-free programming now.

It would be great if any of you has any other recommendations/pros or cons
I need to be aware of before I fix boost::lockfree::queue rather than
boost:: interprocess:: message_queue in our production code?

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Honey

Honey Sukesan