Re: [SG14] Low Latency C++ Brainstorming

From: Sophia Poirier <spoirier_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 10:08:39 -0500
> On May 13, 2021, at 4:05 AM, Niall Douglas via SG14 <sg14_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On 12/05/2021 15:47, Michael Wong via SG14 wrote:
>> As of the Apr 2021 discussion on low latency general brainstorming
>> chaired by Staffan TjernstrÃm , captured in notes here:
>> https://lists.isocpp.org/sg14/2021/04/0616.php
>> <https://lists.isocpp.org/sg14/2021/04/0616.php>
>>
>> This is a summary of that discussion aiming to elicit more refinement,
>> leading to possible features:
>
> LLFIO and its related WG21 proposal papers cover a bunch of these already:
>
>> 2. cache-control
>
> In order to support directly mapped storage devices (Storage Class
> Memory), we implement force cache line eviction to main memory (i.e.
> fsync() for preceding RAM writes by a CPU)
>
> The remaining cache control which is useful is non-cache-affecting reads
> and writes, but let me come back to that later.
>
>> 3. scheduling periodic thread intervals or by the deadline
>
> LLFIO implements deadline i/o, either relative or absolute.
>
>> 4. CPU pinning like madvise
>
> LLFIO exposes as much of madvise() as is reasonably portable.
>
>> 5. manage memory-mapped files
>
> LLFIO provides comprehensive memory mapped file support, in so far as is
> reasonably portable. This is proposed for standardisation at
> http://wg21.link/P1883.
>
>> 7. enforce the real-time constraint on a call path or trap at
>> runtime if unable to satisfy
>
> I am unaware that this is possible to reliably implement outside hard
> realtime OSs. And if it can't be reliable, in my opinion it's not worth
> doing. The user base for hard realtime OS is tiny, so supporting them as
> a special case isn't worth the committee time, in my opinion.

This conversation was not limited to hard realtime OSes where it can be enforced. It is also common in more general OSes to have a mechanism to express this intent for a thread, and the scheduler can then behave appropriately as best it can (no guarantees when not a hard realtime OS). So I think it is worth considering a generalized mechanism for a common attribute like this on threads for supporting the domains that are the focus of this study group.