Re: [SG14] [isocpp-lib-ext] std::colony name brainstorming

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 22:18:48 +0200
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 at 22:09, Nathan Myers via Lib-Ext
<lib-ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Reading beyond the first two paragraphs of a message before
> replying, you would be less likely to embarrass yourself.

In case you think I didn't read beyond the first two paragraphs,
you're mistaken.
And whether my writings embarrass myself in your eyes is irrelevant to me.

> I reproduce the final paragraph here:
> It's not a good look to be stuck on a name that is really
> no better than dozens of others. After it has been pulled
> into the Standard is the time to get attached.

The minor problem with that lofty declaration is that it makes the assumption
that someone's attached to a name that's no better than dozens of others.
That assumption is without merit.

> The only reason to have considered "hive" at all was its
> proximity to "colony". But nothing about either recommends
> itself over others. The inherent interchangeability of
> bees (like ants, or termites) makes them a poor fit.

There's plentiful amounts of explanations already provided thus far that
recommends std::hive over a bunch of other names. Whether the bees
are interchangeable is between irrelevant and incorrect, because they
carry different payloads at different times into the hive.