Re: [SG14] [isocpp-lib] Why is <charconf> not in freestanding (in 17) yet?

From: Ben Craig <ben.craig_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 13:08:39 +0000
P0829 (the old omnibus paper) recommends making the integer overloads freestanding. I haven't made a smaller, split out paper for charconv yet.

For the floating point overloads, there are two major challenges.

First, is the floating point part. It is my (weakly held) opinion that floating point functions shouldn't be required in freestanding, because you can't portably use floating point in some environments, notably many OS kernels.
Second is the space overhead. The implementations that I'm aware of have a high space cost, that isn't suitable on many embedded platforms. This is in addition to the space cost for floating point emulation (where needed). The charconv floating point functions are pretty awesome, but binary size isn't one of their strengths.