[SG14] Why is <charconf> not in freestanding (in 17) yet?

From: Peter Sommerlad (C++) <"Peter>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 13:57:44 +0100
Hi,

I thought one of the reason we got from_chars and to_chars functions was
to provide low-level facilities for these conversions that could be run
on small devices, where iostreams/stringstream would not be beneficial.

So I got confused that those functions were put in <utility> in C++17
and thus not available for freestanding implementations.

I am asking, because they would allow safety guidelines to stop
programmers to DIY conversions. (e.g. banning all arithmetic on
character types).

I did not check the 20 draft yet.

Thanks for help

Peter.

--
Peter Sommerlad
Better Software: Consulting, Training, Reviews