Re: [SG14] [cppcon]

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 19:39:56 +0100
Have you considered the low-level approach of allowing the user to specify
the exact location of fields within a class, perhaps by an extension to the
bitfield syntax?

In your example,

struct A {
    // Feature A documentation
    bool feature_a_enabled : 30, 1;
    unsigned int feature_a_value : 16, 14;

    // Feature B documentation
    bool feature_b_enabled : 31, 1;
    unsigned int feature_b_value : 0, 16;
};

So the bitfield syntax would become : [offset, ] width where the offset is
in bits from the beginning of the class.

Of course, overlap would need to make the program ill-formed.