Re: [SG14] [isocpp-parallel] (SC22WG14.16350) Rough notes from SC22 WG21 SG14 meeting on pointer lifetime-end zap

From: Hans Boehm <boehm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 10:17:15 -0700
Indeed. And even with my lack of clang expertise, it's clear that this
would be highly nontrivial to change in clang and probably some other
compilers. It's clearly not a change that we should make lightly. On the
other hand, that also makes it more urgent to address the issue, since
compilers currently still seem to stop short of applying the rule in
situations where it would interfere with real code.

I would personally still favor a more usable and intuitive model in the
long term over implementer inconvenience in the short term. Implementations
are easier to change than client code. The compiler problems are hard, but
coming up with alternative parallel algorithms, or teaching tens of
millions of programmers a needlessly complex rule, is almost certainly
harder.

This seems to be a case where we currently have an unintuitive rule (at
least to most people) that introduces UB that seriously gets in the way of
applications (and in my opinion teaching), without a fully convincing
argument to justify the rule. Especially given the general complaints about
UB in C and C++, I think we should avoid such cases. I'm perfectly willing
to accept UB in other cases, like signed integer overflow, where it gives
useful implementation freedom and demonstrably helps optimizers. Here I
think we basically have an unproven conjecture that it might eventually do
the former (via potentially making use-after-free easier to detect) and
some really obscure, and to me unconvincing, examples of the latter.

My conjecture (real information welcome!) is that current compilers tend to
conflate compiler optimization facts like "*a aliases *b" or "a and b point
to the same thing" with the result of the expression "a == b". The current
standard sanctions this, but fundamentally they're not the same. When the
compiler asks aliasing questions, it generally wants to know whether an
update through one pointer could affect the value pointed to by the other.
It doesn't care what answer it gets if either side cannot be safely
dereferenced. We now have lots of examples where user code does care about
that case.