[SG13] Question regarding the licensing of the P0267 reference implementation

From: Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash <brycelelbach_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 18:35:20 -0800
Michael, Guy

Some of us at NVIDIA were taking a look at the P0267 reference
implementation, and we're a bit confused about the licensing of this
software. The repo first states that it is under the Boost Software
License, but then states:

"Any contribution shall be deemed to be made pursuant to the terms of
the Boost Software License - Version 1.0, without regard to any
attempt, whether by statement, inclusion of a license file, inclusion
of license terms within any file, or any other method, to impose any
other license."

"If your code is a derivative work of the reference implementation it
must be licensed under the terms of the Boost Software License -
Version 1.0 unless you obtain an express, written waiver from the
original author of the reference implementation, Michael B.
McLaughlin. (Literally written, as in fixed on paper, signed, and
physically mailed to you), except as provided above."

But those two paragraphs seem anathema to how the Boost Software License works.

Can you clarify whether this software is licensed under the Boost
Software License (full stop), or whether it is under some derivative
of the Boost Software License as described in the README:

https://github.com/cpp-io2d/P0267_RefImpl#licenses-and-contributions-important

I ask because we are unsure whether or not we can actually look at the
code given the confusion about the licensing.

If it's under the Boost Software License, I suggest deleting the part
of the README that doesn't say "this software is licensed under the
Boost Software License". If it's not under the Boost Software License,
please clarify that.

Thanks!

--
Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash