Re: [SG12] [isocpp-core] New Issue?: [class.bit] p.4 - silent UB and necessary restriction?

From: Peter Sommerlad (C++) <"Peter>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 14:55:55 +0100
Tim,

thanks.

let me consider an example:

enum color:unsigned long long{ black, red=1, blue=2, green=4};

struct A{
color bf:2; // could do black red and blue, but not green
color xf:6; // large enough for black red blue and green, but not
color(0x100000ULL)

};

What you wrote:

A a{};
a.bf = black: // should be OK value is 0

if (a.bf == black) // UB according to [class.bit]p.4

a.bf = green; // not big enough to represent 4! impl-def.

a.xf = green; // is this ok or UB?

if (a.xf == green) // is that UB? not all possible color values fit in 6
bits, only its enumerators.

The question is, what is "large enough to hold all values" when reading
from an enum bit field.

Regards
Peter.