Re: [SG12] EWG Requests feedback/suggestions on Core Issue 1555

From: Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:29:59 -0700
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 3:25 PM Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> [...]
> implementations that ignore point (1) today would presumably still ignore
> point (1) and accept the program (so we never reach (3) because the types
> match). The implementations that implement point (1) today do so because
> the types are meaningfully different, and so they would continue to treat
> the call as UB.
>
> So any change to point (3) seems to be irrelevant if we don't also change
> (1) or (2).
>

> If we want to address this, it seems to me that we need to look at points
> (1) and (2), which seem like EWG questions not SG12 questions to me. And it
> sounds like the EWG telecon said that they're not prepared to make (1) or
> (2) conditionally-supported (rejecting CWG's suggested approach), but might
> be prepared to remove (some unspecified rule). So I think the leaves only a
> few options:
>
> (a) the status quo: the standard continues to say the same thing and
> vendors continue to ignore it,
> (b) we remove point (1) above and break the targets relying on it, or
> (c) we remove point (2) above.
>
> Option (c) would result in an SG12 question (what should happen if you
> implicitly convert a function pointer with one language linkage to a
> function pointer with a different language linkage and try to call it?). Is
> that what we're being asked? I think there's only one possible answer: that
> is UB, at least for the implementations where it results in a different
> calling convention. Making it conditionally-supported (or more concretely,
> an implementation-defined choice of UB or as if the calling conventions
> match) would mean it's still UB for code that wishes to be portable --
> which seems like a regression, since such obviously-not-type-safe code used
> to be ill-formed. The situation would be strictly better if we made point
> (2) conditionally-supported instead: then the same code would still build
> and work on the same targets, but on the targets where it doesn't work,
> you'd get an error at compile time instead of UB at runtime.
>
> So I don't think there's anything that SG12 can do to avoid option (c)
> being strictly worse than the "conditionally-supported" approach that EWG
> already expressed a dislike for, and none of the other options are in
> SG12's domain.
>

> Given the above, I think realistically EWG needs to choose between (a)
> (ie, all major implementations continue to ignore the standard rules), (b)
> (ie, at least one target cannot implement the C++ rules without a severe
> ABI break), conditionally-supported-(a) (which Hubert suggests was not
> considered), or conditionally-supported-(b) (ie, what CWG asked for and EWG
> said no to).
>
> To me it seems like (a) and (b) are not acceptable resolutions, and EWG
> didn't like conditionally-supported-(b). So maybe we should be considering
> conditionally-supported-(a) (which would simply be standardizing existing

Sorry, I messed up some labels here. I meant:

"""
Given the above, I think realistically EWG needs to choose between (a) (ie,
all major implementations continue to ignore the standard rules), (b) (ie,
at least one target cannot implement the C++ rules without a severe ABI
break), conditionally-supported-(b) (which Hubert suggests was not
considered), or conditionally-supported-(c) (ie, what CWG asked for and EWG
said no to).

To me it seems like (a) and (b) are not acceptable resolutions, and EWG
didn't like conditionally-supported-(b). So maybe we should be considering
conditionally-supported-(c) (which would simply be standardizing existing
practice).
"""