Re: [SG12] EWG Requests feedback/suggestions on Core Issue 1555

From: Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:25:09 -0700
I don't feel like I have clarity on what EWG supports or does not support
changing here (neither from an implementer's perspective nor from the
perspective of a contributor to SG12).

The status quo in the standard is:
1) Language linkage is part of the function type.
2) Initializing a function pointer with a wrong-language-linkage function
(pointer) is a type error.
3) Explicitly casting a function pointer to the wrong type and calling it
is UB.

The status quo in implementations is mostly that (1) is not implemented for
C language linkage, but that (2) is enforced for calling conventions that
are part of function types. And I expect every implementation has some
carve-outs for (3) in that they accept somewhat-different function types at
caller versus callee (for example, the pointee types of pointer parameters
may be permitted to vary in some ways).

The only part of this that seems to obviously be in scope for SG12 is point
(3), but that's not where the problem lies. Making (3) be
conditionally-supported rather than UB does not address the issue, because
programs like

extern "C" void f();
void g(void (*)());
int main() { g(f()); }

... would still be ill-formed due to the type mismatch from (1) + (2). The
implementations that ignore point (1) today would presumably still ignore
point (1) and accept the program (so we never reach (3) because the types
match). The implementations that implement point (1) today do so because
the types are meaningfully different, and so they would continue to treat
the call as UB.

So any change to point (3) seems to be irrelevant if we don't also change
(1) or (2).

If we want to address this, it seems to me that we need to look at points
(1) and (2), which seem like EWG questions not SG12 questions to me. And it
sounds like the EWG telecon said that they're not prepared to make (1) or
(2) conditionally-supported (rejecting CWG's suggested approach), but might
be prepared to remove (some unspecified rule). So I think the leaves only a
few options:

(a) the status quo: the standard continues to say the same thing and
vendors continue to ignore it,
(b) we remove point (1) above and break the targets relying on it, or
(c) we remove point (2) above.

Option (c) would result in an SG12 question (what should happen if you
implicitly convert a function pointer with one language linkage to a
function pointer with a different language linkage and try to call it?). Is
that what we're being asked? I think there's only one possible answer: that
is UB, at least for the implementations where it results in a different
calling convention. Making it conditionally-supported (or more concretely,
an implementation-defined choice of UB or as if the calling conventions
match) would mean it's still UB for code that wishes to be portable --
which seems like a regression, since such obviously-not-type-safe code used
to be ill-formed. The situation would be strictly better if we made point
(2) conditionally-supported instead: then the same code would still build
and work on the same targets, but on the targets where it doesn't work,
you'd get an error at compile time instead of UB at runtime.

So I don't think there's anything that SG12 can do to avoid option (c)
being strictly worse than the "conditionally-supported" approach that EWG
already expressed a dislike for, and none of the other options are in
SG12's domain.

Given the above, I think realistically EWG needs to choose between (a) (ie,
all major implementations continue to ignore the standard rules), (b) (ie,
at least one target cannot implement the C++ rules without a severe ABI
break), conditionally-supported-(a) (which Hubert suggests was not
considered), or conditionally-supported-(b) (ie, what CWG asked for and EWG
said no to).

To me it seems like (a) and (b) are not acceptable resolutions, and EWG
didn't like conditionally-supported-(b). So maybe we should be considering
conditionally-supported-(a) (which would simply be standardizing existing
practice).