Subject: Re: [ub] Draft 1 of Stackable, Thread Local, Signal Guards
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-31 08:35:47

On 30/05/2019 19:09, Jens Maurer wrote:

> What's the interaction with the existing library facility
> <csignal>?

Many thanks for the useful question.

I have added to the paper a FAQ item answering this. It is as follows:

6.2 What is the interaction with the existing library facility <csignal>?

On POSIX only, signal guard could be implemented using <csignal>, apart
from the additional signals described above, which are implemented by
POSIX in any case. It is highly unlikely, however, that anyone would
actually do so when POSIX’s sigaction() is far superior to signal().

On non-POSIX, I would find it extremely unlikely that anybody would use
<csignal> to implement this facility as, in this author’s
experience,<csignal> implementations have a very low quality of
implementation on non-POSIX platforms. To my knowledge, every non-toy
non-POSIX system has a proprietary mechanism by which this facility
could be completely implemented to a high degree of quality.

Niall

SG12 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com