Re: [ub] An update on signed integers

From: Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:20:46 -0700
(Dropped some marginally relevant lists I get mod-queued on anyway)

> The notes should help clarify RIchard's rationale for proposing this.

http://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21jacksonville2018/Sg6P0907R0 has some
discussion from Richard (Smith?) about (1<<32) needing to remain
IDB-at-best on x86 platforms (Ctrl+F "crypto"). Total agreement on that
front.
I don't see any notes on that page which are relevant to (1<<31) — there's
just the straw poll results with zero prior discussion notated.

Shifting out of range (1 << 31) as currently defined (if shift has defined
> value when interpreted as unsigned, you get the value as signed, you can
> dhigt into but not past the sign, shifting past sign bit is UB), 1<<31 was
> defined and still is (as of Howard's paper), 2<<31 was UB and still is,
> WG14 is currently considering whether to adopt Howard's paper which made
> this. Should we take it back to undefined to do 1<<31?
> SS F N A SA
> 2 7 5 1 1

Am I looking at the wrong page, perhaps?

Thanks,
Arthur

P.S. — Alternatively, since 0x80000000 is allowed to be a trap
representation in P0907r1 but 0xC0000000 is not, perhaps the intent of this
straw poll was that 1<<31 should be UB but 3<<30 should be well-defined.
That would be extra weird, though, so I hope that's not what happened.