Re: [ub] A proposal to define signed overflow submitted?

From: Myria <myriachan_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:10:21 -0700
The severity of the current situation is that I generally avoid signed
integers if I intend to do any arithmetic on them whatsoever, lest the
compiler decide to make demons come out of my nose. And even then,
I'm not safe:

std::uint16_t x = 0xFFFF;
x *= x; // undefined behavior on most modern platforms

My code has to do silly things like this in order to safeguard against
such potential compiler abuses:

typedef decltype(std::uint16_t() + 0u) promoted_uint16;

I would be happy if an option like -fwrapv were supported everywhere,
but Visual Studio doesn't have such an option, and Microsoft has
already denied requests for such an option to be implemented.