Re: [ub] Justification for < not being a total order on pointers?

From: Chris Jefferson <chris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:33:12 +0100
On 26/08/13 17:27, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Nevin Liber <nevin_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> | On 26 August 2013 11:00, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> |

> | Could someone explain why we need to allow operator<(T*) to be a non-order?
> |

> | It comes from C. I believe it comes from the days of segmented architectures.
>
> You're right. Historically, it came from segmented architectures.
>
> However, because it has been in the standard for that long, some
> implementations may have taken advantage of that semantics restriction
> even if they are not targeting segmented architecture. So, it is not
> the case that because we don't have wide spread architecture anymore
> means that removing that restriction is a breeze. It will invalidate
> implementations that use compilation and program transformations based
> on that.

Given the stronger requirements of std::less<T*>, is there any standard
library which does not implement std::less<T*> by a simple pointer
comparison?

If no implementation is making use of the difference between pointer <
and pointer std::less comparisons, perhaps we should take that leniency
away?

Chris