Re: [ub] unions and undefined behavior

From: Howard Hinnant <howard.hinnant_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:55:15 -0400
On Jul 24, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I strongly disagree with attempts to characterize compiler writers or
> optimizer writers as evil warlords out there to get C++ programmers, and
> the C++ committee being their obedient servants or purveyors :-)

So do I.

I attempted to present this as conflicting goals from different parties, each reaching for optimizations. My attempts at speaking clearly and unambiguously have evidently been interpreted as you describe above. My apologies. Let's please not let this discussion degenerate. It is too important. I will redouble my efforts to be unoffensive.

I have moved this thread here as you requested. I have just joined this group now, and am reviewing past posts.

Howard