Re: [SG10] Macros in Prague Straw Polls Page

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:05:22 +0000
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 at 08:33, Federico Kircheis <federico.kircheis_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 2/15/20 9:31 AM, Federico Kircheis wrote:
> > On 2/15/20 9:25 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> >>

> >> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 13:55, Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]
> >> <mailto:cxx_at_[hidden]>> wrote:

> >> // also defined in <utility>.
> >> Should the macro be __cpp_lib_safe_integral_comparisons?
> >>
> >> No, the word "safe" is toxic. "integral_comparison_functions" seems
> >> better to me.

> >> II:Freeerase/eraseif"
> >> >
> >> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1115r3.pdf
> >> return type of some functions introduced by the free erase/erase_if
> >> paper, should it bump the __cpp_lib_erase_if macro value?
> >>

> >> I've just realised it should be /integer/ comparison functions, not
> >> /integral/ comparison functions. char and bool are integral types, but
> >> not supported by these functions. Only the signed and unsigned integer
> >> types are supported.
> >>

> > Yes, integer would be more correct.
> >
> > Federico
>
> Even if
>
> http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.fundamental
>

> --
> Types bool, char, wchar_­t, char8_­t, char16_­t, char32_­t, and the
> signed and unsigned integer types are collectively called integral types.
> A synonym for integral type is integer type.
> --
>
> So it does not make a great difference.

Gee, I love this language ;-)

I think "integral" is definitely wrong, "integer" is ambiguous. We think
ambiguous is better than wrong, so I'll request an amendment to the motion
when we are doing the votes (as recommended by Herb).