C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [isocpp-wg14/wg21-liaison] [SC22WG14.26035] constexpr atomic in C++ compatibility concerns

From: Joseph Myers <josmyers_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 17:24:36 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 2 Jul 2024, Richard Smith via Liaison wrote:

> GCC and Clang folks asked the psABI maintainers
> <https://groups.google.com/g/ia32-abi/c/Tlu6Hs-ohPY> to do something about
> it, and it seems like they didn't. So we're kind of stuck. No-one wants to
> break their compiler's ABI without an official decision from the owners of
> the ABI, and we don't have an official decision. Maybe someone could try to
> resurrect that thread.

I don't think that 32-bit ABI was maintained very much even before HJ Lu
retired, and it may be maintained even less since then. (HJ said he'd
document whatever was implemented for the _BitInt ABI for 32-bit x86 in
GCC, but that hasn't gone into the document either.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
josmyers_at_[hidden]