C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] P2961R1 syntax for Contracts: viable for C?

From: Aaron Ballman <aaron_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:57:12 -0400
On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Timur Doumler <cpp_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> OK, thanks, I understand that argument now.
>
> I am not sure though if it makes much sense to design our syntax around that, given that we *already* know we can't (and don't want to) achieve this kind of seamless backwards-compatibility in C++, and by extension in any code shared between C and C++, so only codebases in pure C would benefit from such a possibility. And you won't get backwards-compatibility with older compilers, only with newer compilers in "old standard" mode, because every existing compiler I'm aware of rejects the colon between [[...]] as a syntax error today.
>
> However, my understanding is that with either of the syntax proposals, we would be able to achieve backwards-compability with older compilers via wrapping the whole feature in macros, in exactly the same way we do for other new features that add new syntax.
>
> I am really interested whether anyone here has a preference for one syntax and against the other for any other reason that does *not* have to do with ignorability?

I strongly prefer the syntax that looks like a function-like macro
over the syntax that looks like an attribute. I think it eases
portability, especially when compiling newer source code with an older
implementation. I don't think we should be making the user scan for
whether there's one colon or two colons to know what language feature
they're using. I think constructs like lambdas can already look quite
noisy with their balanced delimiters and this introduces another
instance of that. Also, it helps this confusion by making it more
visually distinct:

void func(int i) <Which comes first: type attributes or contracts?>;

While users still need to know which order to put things in because we
don't allow interleaving there, at least they're not trying to
remember how to order two things both using [[]] syntax.

~Aaron