C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] P2961R1 syntax for Contracts: viable for C?

From: Timur Doumler <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:45:36 +0300
Hi Martin,

That's interesting, thanks. It is important to note that in C++, neither of the candidate syntaxes is backwards-compatible in the way you describe. The attribute-like P2935 syntax is:

[[ pre : expression ]]
[[ post optional-name-for-return-value : expression ]]
[[ assert : expression ]]

That does not follow the standard attribute grammar, which in C++ is:

[[ attribute-token ]]
[[ attribute-token ( parameter-clause ) ]]

because the colon is not allowed in standard attribute grammar. So in C++, even if we choose P2935 (the attribute-like syntax), a pre-Contracts compiler is still *required* to diagnose a syntax error if it sees a contract. That's why we call P2935 the attribute-*like* syntax, it's *like* an attribute because it has [[ ... ]] , but isn't actually an attribute because it doesn't follow attribute grammar.

So for C++, the option to have a backwards-compatible syntax isn't even on the table anymore (we discussed this option in SG21 – it would require us to put parentheses around the expression and would forbid having anything between the pre/post/assert and that parenthesised expression – and that's just too limiting for this feature) so it's simply not a consideration for us.

I understand that in C, the situation is different because you're allowed to token-ignore anything between [[ ... ]] even if it features a colon.

Cheers,
Timur