C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] N2900 Initialization with {} and potential semantic divergence from C++ for new-to-C syntax

From: Jₑₙₛ Gustedt <jens.gustedt_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:27:04 +0100
Hello,

on Fri, 4 Mar 2022 01:02:52 -0500 you (Hubert Tong via Liaison
<liaison_at_[hidden]>) wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 7:23 PM JeanHeyd Meneide
> <phdofthehouse_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Hubert,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 4:53 PM Hubert Tong <
> > hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> >> …
> >> The net of this is that we're getting initialization for the first
> >> member and trailing padding beyond the largest union member for
> >> alignment purposes because "as if static storage duration" does
> >> not provide as many guarantees as people think... (not so much of
> >> a problem for structs without nested unions).
> >>
> >> I might need to open a defect for Clang's
> >> `-ftrivial-auto-var-init=pattern` to properly restrict the padding
> >> that is zeroed, but I really think the situation is a bit
> >> nonsensical.
> >
> > I agree that the situation is non-ideal. However, I did do my
> > best to represent your concerns to the Committee. In particular, I
> > provided Optional Change 0 as part of the proposal. It was Optional
> > and not part of the core proposal (therefore, it was voted on
> > separately). The reason is because the wording in the previous
> > revision had attempted to mandate it, and **most** individuals in
> > the C Committee were miffed by such a departure from how unions
> > were normally treated: it has always been first-member-init.
>
> I agree that Optional Change 0 is one way of approaching the gap. It
> sounds from what you describe above that the primary objection to it
> was how it does so.

That was an important aspect, the proposed strategy and text was not
even sound.

But the other objection really was against adding yet another set of
rules to C's initialization that would be difficult to comprehend.

> An alternative method would be to adjust the
> static initialization wording (with WG 21 coordination) to clarify
> that (a) the representation of the value converted from 0 that is
> chosen for each scalar type is consistent for all such initialization
> of an object of that type, (b) all padding bits between members of a
> structure and all trailing padding in a structure is zeroed, and (c)
> all bytes of a union that do not overlap with the object
> representation of the first member of the union are zeroed.

I would be very much in favor of this, but I think this is too late
for C23. It would be a normative change and would potentially impose
some implementations to change. We don't even have a good overview
what the current practice is. Platforms that have zero-bit
representations of floating point zeroes and of null pointers probably
always initialize by all bit zero. But for the others, I would have no
idea what they are doing for real, here.

Thanks
Jₑₙₛ

--
:: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS :::
:: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536   ::