C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [isocpp-ext] P2128, multi-dimensional subscript operator

From: Aaron Ballman <aaron_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:25:33 -0400
On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 5:57 AM Corentin via Ext <ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Ville Voutilainen via Ext <ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2021/p2128r6.pdf
>>
>> Did we ever discuss this in a liaison group meeting?
>>
>> While the paper is not proposing to add multi-dimensional subscripting
>> for raw arrays, it is doing a land grab on what that syntax means.
>> I got the impression that some WG14 members have different ideas
>> for that sort of a syntax, based on earlier email discussions.
>

> As far as I understand, the concerns were about comma expressions,
> and that ship has sailed with the depreciation in 20.
> I suppose C might want to talk about doing something similar there, as that did
> technically include an incompatibility.
>
> To my knowledge, none of the authors has been reached about further C
> compatibility concerns.
> And as you are pointing out, this proposal does not affect C arrays.

Does it impact the design space of C by nailing down a particular
meaning for the recently deprecated syntax from C++20 that's never
been deprecated in C? If so, I think it's reasonable if members of
SG22 (or either of the greater WGs) want to see this paper as a
compatibility issue. Thus far, I've not gotten any such requests and
the syntax is mostly outside of what typically shows up in shared
header files, so I've not requested an SG22 review personally.

~Aaron