Re: [std-proposals] A draft for a std::arguments proposal

From: Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2024 14:43:55 +0300
On October 1, 2024 1:36:33 PM Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> You had said.
>
>> My understanding that the proposed std::arguments (however it is named) is
>> equivalent to argv, i.e. std::arguments[0] produces the executable name.
>> Is it not?
>

> And I have pointed out that regular argv[0] does not in fact produce the
> executable name.
> It's just the first element in the list of generic arguments, which doesn't
> have to be the executable name, it could be anything.

I pointed out that the proposed std::arguments and argv are supposed to be
equivalent, and both match what is commonly known as "command line".

And yes, while it is possible to launch a process with arbitrary argv,
including empty, this is not normally the case. This is completely
irrelevant to the point I was making, though.