Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 05:46:03 +0000
There's no need for any of that.

________________________________
From: Jeremy Rifkin <rifkin.jer_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2024 7:19:13 AM
To: std-proposals_at_[hidden] <std-proposals_at_[hidden]>
Cc: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>; Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Subject: Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

> We know for sure that comparing file paths alone would do the trick

I may have missed something, but, I don’t think we can just dismiss symbolic links / hard links. That would also be a diversion from existing practice, at least for GCC/Clang.

Jeremy

On Sun, Sep 1, 2024 at 22:24 Tiago Freire via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]<mailto:std-proposals_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
Don't define what system calls are needed in the standard.
This was always going to be platform dependent.

We know for sure that comparing file paths alone would do the trick. Which doesn't even require opening files, the only thing it requires is to exist to register a hit for your #include directive.
If you need more than that to tell 2 files apart then you can't even guarantee what the "#include" directive is doing.

Is anyone going to argue that "#include" directives are unimplementable?