Re: [std-proposals] Function overload set type information loss

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 13:58:02 +0000
I think a better analogy would be if you had a patient with a heart condition and someone comes along and suggest "transplanting the heart and replace it with a kidney, because it's an organ of about the same size and blood goes through it".

I think you would be understandably forgiven if the first question that comes to mind is not in "either who should use the mechanical heart or the dialysis machine to support the procedure".
I for one would have quite serious questions on their ability to practice medicine.

Still, one patiently explains that "a kidney is not a muscle and is incapable of pumping blood, and even if you could pull off that miracle it doesn't have a valve to make sure it goes in the right direction. According to what we know about anatomy this just wouldn't work".
This isn't helped by the response "well not according with our current understanding of anatomy, sometimes when you are to stuck in a specific way of thinking you are unable to think outside of the box. Besides everybody on average already has 2 kidneys, imagine how many lives we could save!"

But unlike medicine, we are not constrained by ethical concerns like not killing a patient.
I have given you a couple of metaphorical bodies that you can butcher to your hearts content. Anyone can just grab the source code of open source compilers and experiment to their hearts content.

I don't know of a way to do what you suggested without having the patient die on the operating table. But maybe you can, and maybe we are missing out on a world where one could use kidneys as a cheap heart replacement (even if the patient only needs some medicine).
I seriously doubt it. But you are free to try.

Keeping this discussion is not helpful, it could only lead to more people getting hangry, there's nothing anyone can say right now that will get each other seeing eye to eye.
If you think you are right, you have to prove to us that you are right, show us an implementation, and if you can't you will have learned something too. That's the only way.