Re: [std-proposals] On the standardization of mp-units P3045R1

From: Charles R Hogg <charles.r.hogg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 20:52:20 -0400
On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 6:59 PM Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Unit safety, as defined here, is a property that any individual line of
> code does or does not have. You're absolutely right that no API could ever
> achieve it universally. It's always possible for a sufficiently
> adversarial user to defeat it. The goal, though, is to design APIs that
> make unit safety easy to achieve, by strong default.
>

> I don’t get it!
>
> It looks very selective what you consider an “adversarial” example.
>
> I have my type explicitly written out, I know what I want, its “40 of this
> thing”, but you force me to use 3 different types and 2 or more different
> objects multiplying together to create an object of an explicit type.
>
> I never heard std::chrono::duration to be described as unsafe… in order to
> declare it you need to write a type or pass it too a thing that has a type,
> am I the only one that looks at the type of things?

The chrono library was a huge leap forward in usability, but we've also
learned a lot in the decade-plus since then. And the `.count()` member is
an excellent example of an interface that is *not* unit-safe. You can
change the underlying duration type, and the `.count()` return value will
change accordingly, silently breaking code that made an unverified
assumption as to the period of that duration. And this is more than merely
theoretical: I believe the units for the system_clock duration are
different among the three major compilers, being (I think) ns on gcc, us on
clang, and (100 * ns) (!) on MSVC. Thus, if you write code that gets a
system_clock duration, and calls `.count()`, it will break on a different
compiler --- because `.count()` is not unit-safe.

> I’m not of the opinion that forcing developers to write extra appendages
> makes it safer as opposed to making developers more frustrated.

Fascinating! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will not
*believe* what Some Other Person has been posting under a name with the
same spelling as yours. For example, here's how they proposed to convert a
temperature in Fahrenheit to one in Celsius:

units::celsius temperature_celcius{1.5};
units::farenheit temperature_farenheit = units::farenheit{
temperature_celcius.to<units::kelvin>().to<units::rankine>()};

I'm not kidding --- they actually posted this as the preferred method for
the simple operation of converting Fahrenheit to Celsius! I thought this
must have been a mistake, but they confirmed it was a deliberate design
decision.