Re: [std-proposals] On the standardization of mp-units P3045R1

From: Mateusz Pusz <mateusz.pusz_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 21:27:39 +0200
I've just implemented something like this in this PR:
https://github.com/mpusz/mp-units/pull/585. Please let me know if you think
that is a good idea that solves the problem raised by Tiago (accidental
error-prone syntax for temperatures). If so, I will merge it with the
library and update the paper in the next revision.

Best

Mat

śr., 19 cze 2024 o 17:30 Mateusz Pusz <mateusz.pusz_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> The `relative` and `absolute` modifiers will be stripped upon
> construction, so the resulting quantity and quantity_point types will just
> use the underlying unit in its instantiation.
>
> śr., 19 cze 2024 o 17:29 Mateusz Pusz <mateusz.pusz_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):
>
>> I have an alternative proposal.
>>
>> Let's consider adding `alternative(Reference)` and `relative(Reference)`
>> modifiers that will influence how:
>>
>> - multiply syntax works
>> - limit invalid use cases for quantity and quantity_point.
>>
>> Here are the main points of this new design:
>> 1. All references/units that do not specify point origin (are not offset
>> units) would be considered `relative` by default. This means that `42 * m`
>> will create a `quantity` and would be the same as calling `42 *
>> relative(m)`.
>> 2. Multiply syntax could be extended to allow quantity_point creation
>> with the `42 * absolute(m)` syntax. This will provide an implicit zeroth
>> point origin.
>> 3. For units that specify a point origin (kelvin, degree_Celsius, and
>> degree_Fahrenheit), the user would always need to specify a modifier. This
>> means that:
>> - `4 * deg_C` does not compile
>> - `4 * relative(deg_C)` creates a `quantity`
>> - `4 * absolute(deg_C)` creates a `quantity_point`
>> 4. Constrain constructors of quantity or quantity_point to require the
>> same:
>>
>> quantity q1(4, m); // OK
>> quantity q2(4, relative(m)); // OK
>> quantity q3(4, absolute(m)); // Compile-time error
>> quantity_point qp1(4, m); // OK
>> quantity_point qp2(4, relative(m)); // Compile-time error
>> quantity_point qp3(4, absolute(m)); // OK
>>
>> quantity q4(4, deg_C); // Compile-time error
>> quantity q5(4, relative(deg_C)); // OK
>> quantity q6(4, absolute(deg_C)); // Compile-time error
>> quantity_point qp4(4, deg_C); // Compile-time error
>> quantity_point qp5(4, relative(deg_C)); // Compile-time error
>> quantity_point qp6(4, absolute(deg_C)); // OK
>>
>> Please note the above would also apply to Kelvin and Fahrenheit.
>>
>> Does it solve the issue discussed here?
>>
>> śr., 19 cze 2024 o 16:07 Mateusz Pusz <mateusz.pusz_at_[hidden]>
>> napisał(a):
>>
>>> Predefining instances of quantity and quantity_point have some issues:
>>>
>>> 1. We have to pick a representation type that will suit all the users.
>>> 2. We can't pass such instances to .in() member function.
>>> 3. It might be hard to spell the type of a class template in the
>>> interface.
>>> 4. We might have issues in using a hierarchy of strong quantity types