Re: [std-proposals] On the standardization of mp-units P3045R1

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 15:56:27 +0000
Ok.
This is what I would do:

                //different library
      unit::cubic_metre Volume {1.0};
      unit::celcius Temperature{28.0};

      auto n_{0.04401 * unit::kilogram{} / unit::mol{}};
      auto R_boltzman{8.314 * unit::newton{} * unit::metre{} / unit::kelvin{} / unit::mol{}};
      unit::kilogram mass {40.0};

      //unit::kilopascal Pressure = R_boltzman * Temperature * mass / n_ / Volume; //fails to compile
      unit::pascal Pressure = R_boltzman * unit::kelvin{Temperature} * mass / n_ / Volume; //explict is good
      std::cout << Pressure.value() << std::endl; //don't actually have print facilities

In this example things like unit::kilogram are an alias to a template specialization of unit::Unit, that takes in a template parameter the gauge properties of the unit, this would be analogous to mp_units::quantity.
unit::celcius however is a different type of unit called unit::Offset_Unit, for which mp_units has no analog (but if it had it would be something like offset_quantity), it is still a type of “quantity” just it is limited in the math that you can do. And a difference between 2 temperatures in Celsius is a temperature in Kelvin, that is how it should work.
This library has no “quantity_point” analog, because one is not needed.